The North Chelmsford Water District was originally established in 1906 as the North Chelmsford Fire District with the purpose of providing an abundant supply of pure water for drinking purposes and fire protection for 200 service connections. In 1946, by Chapter 72 of the Acts of 1946, the District became known by its current name.
Today, the District has approximately 2,800 service connections, with just under 100 service connections in Tyngsborough.
The North Chelmsford Water District remains committed to providing residents with a safe, reliable supply of high-quality drinking water. Our water is tested using sophisticated equipment and advanced procedures. The District’s water is sourced from 4 gravel packed wells located in the Bomil Well Field. We pump water from the 4 wells and pipe it to a state-of-the art Ultrafiltration Treatment Plant. At the Treatment Plant, Chlorine Dioxide is added to oxidize iron and manganese to aid in its removal from the water supply. Potassium Hydroxide is added to adjust the pH and aid in corrosion control, and Poly Aluminum Chloride is added to aid in the filtration process. Prior to sending the finished water to the distribution system, we add chlorine to maintain a residual level between .45 to .75 milligrams per liter. We do not add fluoride to the water supply. Our water meets or exceeds all State and Federal Standards.
A three member Board of Water Commissioners, elected by the water takers of North Chelmsford monitors the operations of the North Chelmsford Water District. Current members are Chairman, Bruce H. Clark, David Irvine, and Robert M. Leavitt, Clerk.
Commissioners meet on the first Monday of each month at 6:00PM at the Water District office. All meeting times and agendas are posted at the Chelmsford Town Hall. Those who wish to meet with the Commissioners are asked to put their request in writing and they will be added to the next agenda. We encourage public interest and participation in our decisions affecting drinking water.